Account

The Actual News

Just the Facts, from multiple news sources.

‘The aim is to erase our identity’: How south Lebanon’s cultural heritage is going up in smoke

‘The aim is to erase our identity’: How south Lebanon’s cultural heritage is going up in smoke

Summary

The Israeli army has been demolishing buildings in southern Lebanon to create a buffer zone against Hezbollah attacks. An NGO called Green Southerners says this campaign is destroying important cultural and religious sites, including churches, mosques, and schools in various villages.

Key Facts

  • A ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon began on April 19, 2026.
  • Since then, Israel has set up a "forward defence zone" in southern Lebanon covering 55 villages.
  • Lebanese civilians are not allowed to enter this zone.
  • The Israeli army is demolishing buildings using bulldozers and explosives.
  • Israel says it targets only Hezbollah infrastructure and avoids civilian and religious buildings.
  • Green Southerners, a Lebanese NGO, reports many religious and historic sites have been damaged or destroyed.
  • A convent and school run by the Salvatorian Sisters in Yaroun village was bulldozed on May 1, 2026.
  • Nearby, the 19th-century Saint George church and Imam Ali mosque have been seriously damaged in previous strikes.
Read the Full Article

This is a fact-based summary from The Actual News. Click below to read the complete story directly from the original source.