French Open rejects prize money change despite tennis stars’ boycott threat
Summary
The French Open will keep the same prize money distribution this year despite complaints from top tennis players that their share of revenue has dropped. Tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said no changes will happen now but discussions with players will continue after the event.Key Facts
- The French Open’s total prize money is 61.7 million euros ($72 million), up 5.3 million euros from last year.
- Players say their share of the tournament’s revenue dropped from 15.5% in 2024 to a projected 14.9% in 2026.
- Tournament revenue grew 14% to 395 million euros ($457.7 million) in 2025, but prize money only rose by about 5.4%.
- Singles winners at Roland Garros will get 2.8 million euros ($3.2 million) each, an increase from last year.
- Players, including top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka and Coco Gauff, threatened to boycott Grand Slam events if compensation does not improve.
- Some players plan to limit media time to 15 minutes during the pre-tournament media day to show their dissatisfaction.
- Mauresmo said prize money will not change this year but organizers are open to future talks with players and their representatives.
- A meeting between tournament officials and players is expected on Friday during the event’s start week.
Read the Full Article
This is a fact-based summary from The Actual News. Click below to read the complete story directly from the original source.