The Actual News

Neutral summaries of your favorite news sources — just the facts.

Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea

Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea

Summary

President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to reduce joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. The annual drills, aimed at preparing for possible North Korean attacks, will go ahead but with fewer activities.

Key Facts

  • President Trump described the military exercises as costly and hostile toward North Korea.
  • The drills were scheduled to start on August 17 and last 11 days, involving 18,000 South Korean soldiers.
  • These exercises, called Ulchi Freedom Shield, are held every summer to prepare South Korea and the US for defense against North Korea.
  • North Korea views the drills as practice for invasion and has criticized them as provocative.
  • Despite Trump’s order to reduce the drills, South Korea’s Ministry of Defence said they will proceed as planned.
  • Trump mentioned that North Korea has been unthreatening during his time in office.
  • Trump also said South Korea declined to join the US in efforts to denuclearize Iran.
  • Trump and Kim met three times during Trump’s first term, and Trump has previously called for ending the drills after their 2018 summit.
Read the Full Article

This is a fact-based summary from The Actual News. Click below to read the complete story directly from the original source.

Save articles & personalize your feed — Create a free account