The Actual News

Neutral summaries of your favorite news sources — just the facts.

Wildfire phone alert was 'entirely appropriate', government says

Wildfire phone alert was 'entirely appropriate', government says

Summary

The UK government sent a wildfire emergency alert to millions of phones in England and Wales, warning people about a very high risk of wildfires. The government said the alert was necessary to keep people safe, though some groups raised concerns that sudden alerts could put domestic abuse survivors at risk by revealing their hidden phones.

Key Facts

  • The alert warned about a very high risk of wildfires and advised against using disposable barbecues, naked flames, or fireworks.
  • It was sent on a Friday evening and was the largest use of the UK emergency alert system so far.
  • Fire and rescue services requested the alert due to 43 active fires and 11 major incidents that stretched resources.
  • The government said sending the alert was its first duty to protect people’s safety.
  • Some domestic abuse charities said the lack of advance notice put survivors with secret phones at risk.
  • The government said it is working with domestic abuse groups to improve alert tests.
  • The alert was sent in Welsh before English in Wales, following legal language rules.
  • Fire officials reported that the number of new wildfires dropped after the alert.
Read the Full Article

This is a fact-based summary from The Actual News. Click below to read the complete story directly from the original source.

Save articles & personalize your feed — Create a free account