Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios suspended after positive cocaine test
Summary
Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios has been temporarily suspended from professional tennis after testing positive for a cocaine metabolite during a tournament in Spain. Kyrgios apologized publicly, took responsibility for his actions, and said he will step away from social media and public life for a month.Key Facts
- Nick Kyrgios tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a substance that shows cocaine use, from a sample taken in June during a tournament in Mallorca, Spain.
- He has been provisionally suspended since August 4 and cannot play or coach in any tennis events sanctioned by global or national tennis bodies until the suspension is lifted.
- Kyrgios said he made a "huge mistake" and expressed regret, especially toward young fans who look up to him.
- He explained that injuries and the approaching end of his career affected him mentally and physically.
- Kyrgios has the right to appeal the suspension but has not done so yet.
- He has a history of controversial behavior on and off the court, including earlier admitted assault and controversial social media posts.
- Kyrgios previously criticized other top players who had been involved in doping scandals.
- The suspension impacts his ability to compete given he has played only a few matches this season and his ranking has dropped significantly over recent years.
Read the Full Article
This is a fact-based summary from The Actual News. Click below to read the complete story directly from the original source.