The Actual News

Neutral summaries of your favorite news sources — just the facts.

Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says

Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says

Summary

Two French journalists were arrested in Togo last month despite having proper work permits. They face charges of making false declarations and remain in pre-trial detention, sparking concerns about press freedom in the country.

Key Facts

  • Gaël Mocaër and Sebastian Perez Pezzani were filming a documentary in Kara, northern Togo.
  • The journalists had valid work visas and authorizations from Togolese authorities.
  • They were arrested on July 27 and charged with "false declarations."
  • Both men are held near Lomé, Togo’s capital, with one suffering serious health issues.
  • Their Togolese fixer, Fred Vedomey, was also detained.
  • Rights group Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls for their immediate release.
  • Families describe the filmmakers as committed professionals with no political motives.
  • Some reports suggest the arrests might be linked to a Togolese journalist living in exile in France, but this is unconfirmed.
  • Togo faces criticism for limiting press freedom and has previously detained foreign journalists.
Read the Full Article

This is a fact-based summary from The Actual News. Click below to read the complete story directly from the original source.

Save articles & personalize your feed — Create a free account